5 fun and creative ways to delight in The Word
God is creative and we are made in the image of God. Therefore, I believe it thrills God when we are creative or use creativity when approaching His Word.
Creative is not the same as artistic. Although being artistic involves using creativity, there are many other ways to be creative.
and CREATIVITY is defined as
- Would you have just been there because you were curious, or would you have been hanging on his every word?
- What would you have said to your friends who were there with you?
- Would you have thought that Jesus was just a little bit crazy!
- What did it feel like when he gave you and all your family a free dinner, instead of just sending you home?
- Jesus, why did you tell the disciples to give the people something to eat, when you knew they didn’t have any food?
- Why did you have all the people sit in groups of hundreds and fifties?
- What did you do with the 12 baskets of leftovers?
Benefits of Creativity & Imaginagion
When we approach Scripture with creativity and imagination, we use a different part of our brain, than when we merely read or listen, or when we approach Scripture logically, trying to figure out how it applies to our lives.
In so doing, we come away with a different perspective, than we get from an analytical approach to The Word. I believe we need to do both.
One of the greatest benefits that I have experienced personally, from combining creativity with my study of The Bible, is that Scriptures become burned into my memory and “hidden” in my heart,” almost effortlessly.
Whether it is because I am truly enjoying the activity of being creative in God’s presence, or whether it is because I am a visual/kinesthetic learner, or a combination of the two, I’m not sure.
I just know that, after having colored or hand-lettered or illustrated a Scripture, I can close my eyes and “see” that verse and quote it word for word… many days, months, and even years later.
It’s like it has become part of the fabric of my being, and the truth of that verse impacts how I live.
And I can use it in prayer and to fight the good fight of faith at the exact moment of my trial, even if I am out and about with no Bible close by.
I think that is the very meaning of Psalm 119:11, which says,
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
Today, I am going to give you a quick overview of 5 fun and creative ways to delight in The Word.
*Links below may lead to my own products, or to my favorite products made by partners and affiliates. Therefore, if you purchase a product after clicking my link, I will most likely earn a few bucks – at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your support!
1. Writing the Word
- This is simply writing out a Scripture verse by hand.
- It’s an easy way to connect with God, even if you have little time, and limited supplies. Plus, it does not require any artistic talent.
- Do you have sticky notes everywhere? Do you love to make lists? Do remember things better when you write them down? If so, you will love this simple way of delighting in The Word.
- You can write on colorful sticky notes, on pretty journal cards, in a personalized journal/notebook, (like those pictured below) or in a special journal with the Scripture references already provided, (THESE are some of my favorites.)
2. Journaling About The Word
- This goes beyond just writing down a Bible verse word for word.
- It involves writing your thoughts and observations on a certain Scripture.
- It can include writing out your conversations with Jesus (who is The Word of God.)
- It can also include writing out your prayers and answers to prayers.
- If you are stressed, overwhelmed, confused, or have difficulty focusing, you might enjoy journaling, as it can be therapeutic and enlightening.
- You can journal in a spiral notebook, a pretty hardback journal, or in the margins of your journaling Bible.
- Another great option is to use the SOAP Bible Study method, along with a special SOAP journal.
3. Lettering The Word
- This is similar to writing The Word, but with added artistic flair.
- This is one of my favorite ways to delight in The Word because it is so easy to emphasize certain words and you can create a “picture” with words by varying the style, size and color of each word.
- It does require some practice, but you can do this, even if you can’t draw or paint a beautiful, realistic piece of art.
- You can letter Bible verses on pretty journal cards, on regular paper, art paper, in an art journal, or in the margins of your journaling Bible.
- Brush lettering is a special type of lettering using a paint brush, a water brush, or brush pens (THESE are my favorites!)
4. Coloring The Word
- Research has shown that coloring is relaxing and helps to relieve stress because you are engaging a different part of your brain.
- It is also just plain FUN!
- Since children and teens also love to color, this is a great activity to do as a family.
- You can color in a Scripture coloring book, in a coloring Bible, or you can hand letter a verse, and then color it in.
5. Creating various forms of art in your Bible (Bible Journaling)
- This consists of creating art on the actual pages of your Bible or in an art journal.
- See the process of how I created my First Bible Journaling Page HERE.
- If you have not heard of Bible journaling, visit this Pinterest board to see examples.
- Here is what Shanna Noel, the founder of Illustrated Faith says about Bible journaling:
- “Bible journaling is not “just” a trend. For the first time in my life I UNDERSTAND the word, I crave the word and I am constantly looking for ways to better grasp it, to apply it to my life and to share it with others!”
HERE IS YOUR CHALLENGE (ACTION STEPS):
- Try something new!
- Choose ONE thing that looks interesting to you and give it a try. It’s OK if, after trying it a few times, you determine that it does not help you delight in The Word. But how will you know until you try it?
My Free Printables Library – Sign up at: joditt.com/joy
Delight in The Word of God Devotional Coloring Book/Journal for Adults by JoDitt Williams
- In this coloring book I created, you will get to try out coloring AND journaling.
Write the Word Journals by Cultivate What Matters
- I recently purchased the yellow Cultivate Joy journal and it is GORGEOUS!!!
- On each page, you’ll get a selection of specially-selected key verses to writeout, along with space to write your thoughts, prayers, or whatever God places on your heart.
- Write the Word journals can be used by any woman in any season of life! These journals are all about grace and digging into God’s life-giving truth.